Saturday, August 22, 2015

Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer

The western U.S. is experiencing a violent and dangerous forest fire season.  Currently, the biggest fires line the coast from California to Washington.  Add to this a weather pattern that is changing the wind directions to move the smoke from these fires towards the Wasatch and Rockie Mountain areas.  For the last 10 days, areas in northern Utah have experienced this smoke.  The impact is very similar to winter inversions.  It becomes hard to breathe, eyes water and sting, and your throat can be sore.  The joy of being outside is limited.  I noticed that my photos are impacted, too. 
Elderberries ripening in the mountains.
These orange berries lack their common vibrancy.
These images were taken last week.  As I compared them to other years that I snapped similar photos, I found the color dull.  As I write this post, I know that I am lucky that I am only experiencing the smoke from a distance.  Many people, animals, bees, and plants are much closer, some with little hope for survive.  I will think positive thoughts for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment